A whole chapter of the book is devoted to how young courageous Dramani stood in front of a bully and said enough was enough and lived to tell the tale, “I did not die, I did not die”, John Mahama recounts, stressing. It was at Achimota and the boy’s name was Ezra. Ezra, the tormentor, was two years older, very muscular and the tallest of 10 boys in the dormitory. With his usual elitist tone, John says, Ezra looked like “one of the men we sometimes saw on the campus grounds clearing the underbush with long, slightly curved cutlass. Their skin, which was blacker even than a starless sky at midnight, would be glistening with sweat.” He adds with undisguised disdain, “I wasn’t at all surprised to learn that his father was a farmer, though I would have guessed that it was an animal farm and not a cocoa farmer, because Ezra looked as though he had been born, raised, and fed in much the same way as livestock.” John Mahama continues on Ezra, a...
Comments
Post a Comment